PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Thursday, 13 May 2010

BTT: Influence


http://btt2.wordpress.com/2010/05/13/influence/


Are your book choices influenced by friends and family? Do their recommendations carry weight for you? Or do you choose your books solely by what you want to read?

I would have to say both yes and no, to all three questions. Of course some of my book choices are influenced by friends and family. On the other hand, I may also be influenced by recommendations or reviews from complete strangers. How much weight a recommendation carries depends partly on who gives it, and partly on the impression I get from the presentation itself.

If a friend recommends a book, and I know that we often have similar taste, it is likely to make me curious. On the other hand, if I know that this friend and I usually don't like the same kind of books, I'll probably not go looking for it just because he or she mentioned it.

If the recommendation comes from a new friend, I might follow it up because I'm curious to learn what kind of books that person likes. 

If I hear a lot of opposite opinions about a book - and especially by people I know - that is also likely to make me curious and want to read it, to form my own opinion.

I usually don't force myself to read (or finish) a certain book if I don't feel particularly interested in it, unless there is some special reason to do so. (See last week's BTT post.)

To the BTT questions I will add one of my own:  
Is there a book or author you like that you would probably never have read if it hadn't been on recommendation by a friend or family member?

My own answer to that is Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I probably would not have started reading those unless my brother had started lending them to me (as audio books) as he "discovered" and started collecting them. I had never heard of Pratchett until my brother lent me Guards! Guards!

4 comments:

Ginny said...

This Discworld looks quite unique. Reminds me a bit in theory of Flatlands. When friends recommend books to me, they usually tell me a bit about them, sometimes more than I wanted to know. So then I ususally have a pretty god idea of weather I want to buy it or not. I do rely heavily on written reviews from the paper.

Sandra said...

i agree with everything you said today and that is what i do when someone recomends a book. i have been loaned books that the friend says you have got to read this, I loved it and not been able to read it. it is hard to give it back and say I did not finish reading it, but that's what I do. I love mystery and action and good stories. i have a couple of friends that we all read similar, but even with them, we have different taste. what I can't put down until it is done, they don't really like. the only book I read that my son recommended was Odd Thomas and i liked it. not something i would have picked up.

GB said...

I'll go with what you say, Monica. I can relate to it all. Including the Discworld series. I would never have even contemplated that if CJ/Scriptor hadn't been such a fan.

rae said...

Guards! Guards! is next on my audiobook queue! I'm so excited to "read" it now (with your recommendation)!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Make the hidden word visible! Stay and play a game of Hangman.

There was an error in this gadget