PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Monday 12 October 2009

P.S. I Love You



Lately I haven't been watching a lot of films. I happened to pick up this one yesterday when I had to go to the supermarket to buy some food necessities. I had never heard of it before but it seemed it might be just the thing for a grey autumn Sunday afternoon. It was. It goes straight to my favourites list, because it was bittersweet and humouristic at the same time, with that odd twist that makes it not-just-any-old-romantic-comedy. It is about a 30 year old woman, married since 10 years, and then her husband dies of some illness. After his death, she starts receiving letters from him. He wrote them before his death, and they are delivered one by one, with the purpose of helping her get through grief and find herself and her life again. Every letter has that PS to it - I love you. It sounds a bit weird, and it is, but at the same time it had a strong ring of reality to it. It is about remembering, about picking up the scattered pieces of a broken life, and about embracing and letting go at the same time. It is beautiful and joyful and sad, and I loved it. The acting is superb, the music wonderful, and the film is set partly in New York and partly in Ireland.

5 comments:

Graham Edwards said...

I saw the DVD in NZ last year but didn't watch it. I'll put it on the list. Thanks.

Dr.John said...

It sounds like a movie I would like to see.
I'll have to check and see if my cable company has it.
I usaed to teach a course on grief for the college.

California Girl said...

You know, that is not a movie I planned to order on Netflix but you make it sound worthwhile.

rae said...

Funny story about this movie: It causes problems for people when they are texting (or emailing, I guess) on their phones. I've heard several stories of someone asking "what are you doing?" via text, and getting the reply "watching a movie, PS I Love You." The recipient is surprised, delighted, returns the expression of love, and then has to be convinced it's just a movie title.

DawnTreader said...

Rae, I can imagine that one also being used quite deliberately...! ;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin