PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Thursday 10 June 2010

Sign, please!


http://btt2.wordpress.com/2010/06/10/signature/

Do signed copies excite you? Tempt you? Delight you?
Or does it not matter to you?

I haven't really had the chance to get a lot of books signed by the author. I would not travel far and stand in queue for hours to get a book (or anything else) signed; or pay a lot of extra money for it. But if I had the opportunity to get a book signed by an author I admire, I'd be delighted.

Right now I can only recall two books that I got signed in connection with buying them. Not by extremely famous authors, but people that I've listened and talked to. One of them taught a one-week creative writing class that I attended back in the 90s. The book was a children's picture book to which he had written the story. That one I bought just as memory of a very inspirational week. The other occasion was a year or two ago - and now I'm reminded I haven't even read that book yet. (I think I might pick it up next, after the one I'm reading now...) It's a novel written by a woman pastor which I bought in connection with a lecture she was giving. I had previously read devotional articles and poems by her, and heard her speak a few times before as well.

With those two books, it does add something extra to have them signed by the author, because the signatures also remind me of the occasions and circumstances when I bought them.

7 comments:

MadSnapper said...

I do not collect signatures or have anything signed by anyone. IF i were in a book store and one of my favorite authors was there, i might, but then if the author was there the line outside would be long and i would not stop. but signatures can be valualbe some day, if not for you for someone who has the book you got signed.

Anonymous said...

I also like the experience of meeting an author and getting a book signed, but I wouldn't pay extra for a signed book, either.

Anonymous said...

I don't go out of my way to find signed copies, but do love when one falls in my lap.

Ginny Hartzler said...

A very interesting and unusual question! I will not go out of my way to get a book signed, unless it is a gift, which I did for my mom once. I can get no benefit from a signature, so what good does it do me? If a signed book would be valuable one day, then I might. And perhaps if an authour I like is signing and there's no line, just becuase I could get to talk to the author. I'd much rather talk to the author and have that as a memorable experience.

martine said...

The only book I have signed is 'Anything school can do you can do better' by Maire Mullarney, which was one of the last copies she had of the original printing and she sent it to us because I was interested in home education and we met her at the Green Party conference many years ago. It is special to me as it was a great initial influence on my parenting and educational views.
interesting post
thanks for sharing
martine

Graham Edwards said...

I've had a number of gifts of books which have been signed by the author. I have to admit that it really doesn't do anything for me.

BUT when someone gives me a book I do love it when they sign and date it. Not only does it make it more personal but I can look back and remember who and when. Usually I can remember the who but rarely the when.

DawnTreader said...

GB, I do agree with you about that. A book signed by the Giver rather than the Author can be of very great personal value.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin