PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Monday 29 March 2010

Quotation of the Week (13/2010)


 "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936) ~

"Failure after long perseverance is much grander
than never to have a striving good enough to be called a failure."
~ George Eliot (1819-1880) ~
About the picture:
This little cutie suddenly appeared out of nowhere from beyond a hedge, with a triumphant runaway smile on her face. No adult in sight. Daddy wasn't really all that far behind, but hidden by the hedge, and having some problem with the pram which delayed him  for a couple of seconds... Ah, glorious seconds! An ocean of time for those little legs to run on ahead...

4 comments:

GB said...

Hmm. I've not quite come to terms with the GKC quote but I can go along with GE's.

DawnTreader said...

GB, I did not "come to terms" with that Chesterton quote myself until I came across the Eliot one. That's why I put them both together. The choice of picture is a hint towards how I now interpret it: There are lots of things we can only learn to do well by first doing them badly.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The first quote amused but confused me till I read the second one, then it all came together! A good pair. An unusual picture. A solitary baby, taking off into the wild world! All things new.

MadSnapper said...

I did not understand the first quote until I read your answer to GB. it is true, the baby has to fall down and do badly before she can run well. perfect choice on both quotes and the baby. what a doll. I love babies as long as they are not mine.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin