PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Thursday 25 March 2010

BTT (Booking Through Thursday): Break

Recently I came across this website: Booking Through Thursday, which has a weekly meme about books and reading. Thought I might join occasionally.


Do you take breaks while reading a book? Or read it straight through? (And, by breaks, I don’t mean sleeping, eating and going to work; I mean putting it aside for a time while you read something else.)

My answer: It happens! For one thing, I usually have more than one kind of book going at the same time. Not sure how that counts? Right now: One philosophical audio book on CD about "Ways to Wisdom" (by Stefan Einhorn, Swedish author, in Swedish). One English novel that I just started on (Alexander McCall Smith: 44 Scotland Street - in English). Another audio book going on in my MP3 player (Terry Pratchett: The Truth, in English). On my coffee table a book about "Classical Symbols" (in Swedish), that I'm not reading straight through but got caught up in when I took it out to look something up. In my bookcases I just noted the other day some novels that for one reason or another I "took a break" from years ago (about half way through) and am not feeling quite sure about now if I'd be able to pick up where I left off, or if I'd have to go back to the beginning. Among those: Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens (in English), The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky (in Swedish) and The Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherford (in English).

4 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I've read a lot of books, but none of these. I like to finish one book before I start another. But I have dozens, and have no time to even start them! My latest is Max Lucado "Fearless". I'm hoping to start it soon.

Lori said...

I read one book at a time and in one sitting. Here's mine.

MadSnapper said...

Once I start a book, I read it all the way through. Sometimes I read one in a day, sometimes it takes 2 days. i do take a break but only to get up and move around or blog or talk or watch a movie with my husband. if the book is riveting i will not stop until finished. I read on the average of 5 books every two weeks. If I can put a book down for several days, I never finish it. it is either a page turner or not. I read only fiction. It is rare for me to read a book that is not. sometimes through our church I will read a book they are have a study on.

GB said...

I enjoyed the post for the variety of that which you are reading more than for how you read. I'm sorry to say that I have absolutely no set pattern. I read two lengthy books, The Glass Palace and Wild Swarns in one sitting (for each book) on airplane journeys to or fom NZ. But that is exceptionally rare. As a general rule it takes me ages to read the simplest of books.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin