PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Tuesday 2 February 2010

Still Reading Winnie-the-Pooh



I'm still in a kind of Eeyorish mood.

Today (at 1 p.m.), they have not even bothered sending the snow plough round yet. They (whoever they are) have probably come to the decision that what's the point, there will be more soon anyway.

Or, like Eeyore would say:

I shouldn't be surprised if it hailed a good deal tomorrow. Blizzards and what-not. Being fine to-day doesn't Mean Anything. It has no sig- what's that word? Well, it has none of that. It's just a small piece of weather.

"A small piece of weather." You gotta love that...!

When I'm feeling "under the weather", whether it is really because of the weather or for some other reason, there are certain books that help better than others. Winnie-the-Pooh is two of them. (Yes that is deliberate use of grammar.)

4 comments:

California Girl said...

love the illustration. i never read Winnie the Pooh tho' I'm familiar with the art and the story. my dad didn't read this particular book to us and he read so many classics. not sure why he missed this.

DawnTreader said...

With some children's books, it's never too late to start, C.Girl! ;)

I was in my mid 20s first time I read the Narnia books. Have not stopped reading them since!

With Winnie-the-Pooh and some other classics from the English-speaking world, I read them in Swedish in my childhood; but now reading them in English I'm (re)disovering details, some of which got lost in translation.

With Winnie, I do find it a pity he got so "disneyfied" in later years. The original stories and illustrations are infinitely superior!

GB said...

Yes, Winnie-the-Pooh (and House at Pooh Corner) were wonderful although it's many years since I read them. So was The Wind In The Willows, Tom Puss Tales and....too many to mention.

DawnTreader said...

The Wind in the Willows is another one I don't think I read until I was grown-up (in my 30s). A friend brought it for me to read when I was in hospital. It's another one I've recently bought in English!

Tom Puss I seem to remember vaguely as a cartoon series in some old magazines I used to read at Grandma's.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin