PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Sunday 24 January 2010

Portrait of the Artist as an Old Woman



(Alluding to the book title Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce...)

In gloomy moments this week I've been feeling I've run into a major writer's block. Checking myself, though, I realize that two or three days without blogposting probably cannot be counted as a more than a very tiny block. Not really worthy of the dramatic complaint I had in mind!

However I do feel a bit like that snow(wo)man. (Surely it's a woman, don't you agree?) Been holding up for a while, but a bit tired now, and feeling as colourless as the surrounding winter world... (Now I'm exaggerating again. When I go out, I usually wear a cheerfully red coat!)

I was playing around a bit with this photo the other day, just to experiment how much (or how little) fun you can have with an all white photo. Not a whole lot. When I had done what I could, I still felt it at least needed a frame, and I couldn't find any of those in the editing software. And of course couldn't think of anything to write either (since I was suffering from writer's block, remember?).

Then I found this Online Image Editor which offers frames (among other things). So I tried that out, and voilà! I had a framed picture. But I still couldn't think of a title.

Today when looking at the picture again, the distorted title of James Joyce's semi-autobiography came to mind. I have to confess I don't remember anything about that book except the title. I have it in my bookcase, but it's been over 30 years since I read it. Well, that in turn does make me feel old...

Circle closed. Now I'm going to publish this before that Block hits me in the head again.

2 comments:

Don said...

Lately I've found inspiration by responding to thoughts triggered by visiting other blogs. Sometimes, I just ponder, stay alert, and ideas appear. Just not always on my time schedule. Ideas are like that. Yeah, they are.

DawnTreader said...

Yeah, they are!
I often find my thoughts triggered by other people's blogs, too - that's kind of the whole idea of hanging around here, isn't it ;) ... I'd say it's the "staying alert" thing that has been my major problem lately, simply because I am really very tired!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin