PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Wednesday 6 January 2010

Hindsight and Foresight



In my New Year's Eve post I quoted an Irish blessing:

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
The foresight to know where you're going,
And the insight to know when you have gone too far.

So far this New Year - celebrating my first "Bloggoversary" yesterday on top of all - my concentration has been mostly on the hindsight, looking back on 2009. I was also never really in the habit of making New Year promises - and right now, the mere thought of a list of detailed resolutions just weighs me down.

Reading other blogs over the last few days, I find that people often say "no, I never make New Year promises" - and then go on to make lists of resolutions or expectations anyway. So while I was out on a very cold walk in the snow this afternoon (after saying this morning that I would probably not go out but just stay in), I thought about that: Would I feel better about making a list of expectations instead of promises? Answer: No,I would not! I'm tired of lists. I'm tired of counting, and crossing things off, and still never catching up...

While writing the Bloggoversary post, it struck me that last year when I started blogging, I had no clear idea where I was going with that; and yet, looking back, I can see that in spite of lacking defined goals and expectations, I still had a sense of direction. That, I think, is the kind of foresight I need for this year, too - and the only kind that would not feel heavy.

That does not mean I will not be making any plans, or that I will never write another list of things to do. It also does not mean I can forget about all the things that still remain to do that I should already have dealt with last year! I'm sure 2010 will have its own fair share of all that, whether I like it or not...



But "the foresight to know where you're going" - that, for me, is about daring to be open to intuition, and listen to my heart: To notice if a gate is open or closed; to know when to give or accept (or decline) an invitation, when to speak or to be silent... That kind of thing!

If I am to wish only one thing for 2010 - that will be it, I think.

4 comments:

Suburban Girl said...

I do like that Irish blessing too, and love that first photo!

MadSnapper said...

the open gate makes me want to walk through it. very pretty. I do not make promises either. the only list i make are the ones that jog my senior memory, like grocery list. I do sometimes make a list of things that need to be done around the house to remind me to do them. like the Irish blessing.
I don't think my blog has direction, i go from writing about daily life, to weird things i think about, no real direction or theme, just what ever pops in my head

GB said...

So so feel that this posting has struck a chord with me.

Don said...

"And you shall hear a voice say, 'This is the way: walk ye in it!'"

Directed... influenced... a life of living faith...

2010!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin