PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Tuesday 12 October 2010

Unexpected Flashbacks

Yesterday, I had a surprise, since suddenly on my Blogger reading list, a very familiar-looking photo appeared. But I had not posted it! Not recently, anyway… However, I knew that I had posted another photo of the same building only the day before. For a second or two, I was very bewildered indeed!

Then my brain started working again. I realized what blog the picture was on: Write With Pictures. A blog to which I have given permission to use my pictures. I also realized that in my recent Picture Book post (Museum Church), I had linked back to an older post (17th century church) where this photo was included. So the whole thing was not at all as strange as it first seemed!

The Write With PicturesMonday Meme’ means sharing “what memories that come to mind” when looking at the picture. Hm! Since it was my own photo, and I had revisited the place only two days ago, of course it brought back memories!

So I wrote down what went through my head. And after having done that, I decided to go back here and repeat some of it, and add a couple of more photos. And words.

♥-♥-♥

I think it was two years ago one year ago that I last went inside, one day when the door was open. Coming in from the bright light outside, it was so dark in there that I had very little idea what I was taking photos of. But I did take some flash photos. Not until I was back home, getting the photos up on the computer screen, could I see the details.

Now this reminds me of two things:

1. Some doors are not always open.
We have to find them at the right moment.

DSCN9225-1 
When I was there last, the door was closed.

 DSCN7834-1 
When I took this picture, the door was open.

2. Sometimes we do not really see things clearly until in retrospect.

DSCN1748-1 
Collection of old keys inside the porch; and a box, in which visitors can leave a contribution to the maintenance of the church. I think it is probably supposed to be St Peter on the pillar. Or maybe that’s just how my mind wanders because of the keys in the background. It was to Peter that Jesus said: “on this rock I will build my church” and “I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 16:18-19)

DSCN1763-1

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” John 1:1

DSCN1760

“The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world would not recognize him.” (John 1:9-10)

5 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my gosh!!!! Thoughts are whirling around in my head! How come you didn't post this sooner, when did it happen? First I noticed the keyhole is shaped like a heart, and I knew inside would be wonderful!! You couldn't see ahead, but your camera did it for you. Reminds me of how we can't see either, but God does. I love the old keys, everything,why don't they fix the place up and use it??? It's too wonderful to just sit there like that! And why is it left open, vandals could take things. Did you say it's kind of a museum? So maybe people are supposed to come in, but there isn't an attendant? Am I making you dizzy now? O.K. I'll stop, but It's a fabulous post!

Jeannette StG said...

These pics are little treasures that we don't get to see otherwise!Thanks for sharing, Monika.

DawnTreader said...

LOL - Ginny, YES, you ARE making me dizzy! The church is in a museum park with other old buildings which have all been moved there from their original sites (instead of being torn down). I have posted about it before. It IS used as a church, not for regular services every week, but on special occasions. Very popular for weddings! The buildings are not always left open, only at certain times. That's why I say we have to find the doors at the right moment ;)

Heather said...

LOVE THIS POST! Wonderfully fun and perfect ♥

Your photos and Scripture choices filled me up - just what I needed.

Don said...

Amazing interior... great verses... and excellent commentary. ;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin