PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Saturday 2 October 2010

All Still

DSCN8934-1

Took the camera with me into town today to try and make up for yesterday’s blunder. But of course there was no sign of any Living Statue in the town square today. It was all empty and dull, nothing special going on at all. So we had to settle for other things, camera and I. Like colourful autumn leaves…

Although… wait a moment, what is that… On the other side of the river, under the tree, to the left? Could you zoom in, please? …

DSCN8935-1

No costume, but keeping as still as that guy yesterday!

There was a sign of some kind on the grass beside him. I could not read it from that distance. Curiosity took over and I went back across the bridge to the park and walked by on the path there, closer to him. Falun Dafa, the sign said. Same thing as Falun Gong, as I understand it (not that I claim to understand it).

Suddenly seems to have become very popular to stand or sit very still, in public!

Myself, I went home and practiced my own variety after lunch: Lying very still, in private…

4 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

So what do the words on his sign mean, "Be still?" It is surprising that he would meditate there, there must be people walking and dogs and such. But then again, this would be a good way to learn stillness while all around is running around...rather a thought proviking snap. I love that big tree to the right of him!!

DawnTreader said...

Falun Dafa means "the great law wheel". Falun Gong means cultivation and practice of the same. It's a Chinese... philosophy movement, I suppose. I'm not practicing it and not the right person to expand on it.

Graham Edwards said...

Why, I wonder, would one feel a need to practice it in public and to display a sign to that effect?

DawnTreader said...

I wonder, too. I took it that he was doing it as a sort of "mission". There was also a pile of brochures on the ground. I didn't pick one up. (Just did a little googling when I got back home.) My thoughts at the time were mostly occupied with comparing him to the living statue I had seen the day before. Like "if he got himself a silver costume..."

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin