PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Friday 13 November 2009

Raven's Wordzzle Challenge # 89

The Slumber Party Mystery - A Summary

I've been partaking in Raven's Saturday Wordzzle Challenges since her Challenge #57; my first post /chapter dated 29 March 2009. When I posted that first entry, I really intended it just as a short story with a sort of open ending. But then someone asked me if there was going to be continuation, and then I thought: Well, why not? I'll probably be able to find some way of wrapping it up in a dozen episodes or so... Ha!! Thirty or so weeks later, I have still not managed to get myself out of the web I wove. If it's getting complicated for myself to keep track, I dare not even think what it's like for my readers! So I decided it's probably high time to make a summary, which I can refer both old and new readers back to. The summary will be added to as the story proceeds.

After some thought, I decided to put the summary in a new side blog, which I have given the name Wordly Efforts. So far it does not contain anything but this summary. I might however in the future decide to move or copy all the episodes of the Slumber Party Mystery over there to get them all in one place. (Please share if you have any thoughts on that.) There is also the possibility that I might some day use that blog for other fictional writing, too. 



Raven's Wordzzle Challenge # 89

officer, candid, drowning, turtles, sugar-coated, prospecting, shame on you,
reclinder, luggage, brains, paragon of virtue, cats-in-the-cradle, swamp, sprinkles, garbage

Click on the label SlumberPartyMystery below post to find all previous posts.

The Slumber Party Mystery
Chapter 89 – Cat's Cradle

Getting home on Saturday evening, John Skittles called up his friend Turtles, who was also a police officer.

"To be quite candid with you, I don't understand what's happening," he complained. "I thought I was solving a mystery, and then suddenly I seem to be drowning in a sugar-coated romance instead."

"Sounds like interesting prospecting to me," said his friend. "Shame on you for moaning about it! You know you always fall in love with a good mystery. Perhaps this time the mystery has also fallen in love with you! I suggest you lean back in your recliner and put those Sherlock brains of yours to some good use for once. Try and figure out what it is about this girl that attracts you."

"I have no idea," said Skittles, still in a grumpy tone of voice. "She comes with such a lot of strange luggage. Her grandfather's house is only part of it. The place is a veritable swamp full of garbage, in some ways. She's hardly a paragon of virtue herself either. And she's not in love with me, she's in love with that doctor. She said so yesterday."

"Ah," said Turtles. "The cat's in the cradle, and sprinkles of jealousy on top."

"What?" said Skittles, irritably. "You know I'm no good at metaphors, you always end up having to explain them to me."

"This one is kind of hard to explain over the phone, John," said his friend. "Cat's cradle is an intricate game, and it takes the combined efforts of two people to sort it out."

Later in the evening, Turtles emailed this web page to his friend John Skittles:

http://www.ifyoulovetoread.com/book/chten_cats1105.htm



Print

6 comments:

Argent said...

I can heartily sympathise with you about escaping your own web. I've done the same thing to myself - twice now! What was I thinking! I think you could give the Slumber Party Mystery its own blog. I was in two minds about that myself but bit the bullet and did it - it had a whole 2 followers of its own now. I thought this wek's episode was really good, the way the words melted into it was terrific. I'm intrigued about what the mystery is though - if there is one, even.

Raven said...

Well, I must say I'm enjoying your story but I have stalwartly resisted starting one of my own. I don't know who to root for in this romance situation... I like both Skittles and the doctor.

DawnTreader said...

Have been thinking a bit more since yesterday and I have started the process of copying all the previous episodes over to the new blog. I have managed to import them, comments and all... But will also be going through each one to check links and consistency in layout.

I will probably from next week on be publishing new episodes directly into the new blog.

Looking back on a few months experience now, it seems that with one or two exceptions, there is one set of people commenting on the wordzzles, and a different set of people commenting on personal stuff that I write. And this really hasn't changed much over time.

From that I draw the conclusion that it probably won't be seen as a disadvantage by most readers if I separate the fiction from the rest. It might even be seen as an advantage for both groups of people. Worth trying out...

The art of blogging is a science in itself!

Reston Friends! said...

I enjoy Skittles, and I always love going down to the comments and seeing Luna! She makes me smile!

That said, this was a good summary and launching point for the next step! I agree with Argent - you melted the words right in!

DawnTreader said...

Luna???

bettygram said...

I like your story and the words just seem to fit in. I liked the pictures of Cats in the Cradle.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin