PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Thursday 26 August 2010

For the times they are a’changin’…*

DSCN8247

From the patio outside the “assisted living” place my dad will be moving to – shortly. Exactly how shortly is still not 100% clear, which is causing us some trouble.

We have to wait for redecoration to be finished before any stuff can be moved in, and stuff has to be moved in before dad can be moved in… Well.

DSCN8241 

When all is in place, including dad, I expect it will be as good as can be, when life is no longer as good as it was, and help is needed with things you hoped you would never in your life need help with. Still a place to call your own (with some old things to hopefully remind you of who you are), right inside a bigger home (unit for 8), right inside an even bigger home (complex containing a whole range of similar units with different levels of care), right in the centre of a village you know better than any other place. Or at least used to.

Most likely I won’t be around in Blogland as much as usual over the next couple of weeks, because what little energy I have will be required elsewhere.

The weather is not being very helpful. It does not show on the picture above, but going out to the village by bus yesterday (which takes me just over an hour at best, and often an hour and a half, one way), I also had to fight storm winds and torrential rain showers.

Come gather ’round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You’ll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin’
Then you better start swimmin’ or you’ll sink like a stone
* For the times they are a-changin’

Bob Dylan

3 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh Monica, I'm just so sorry for all of this, I've been through it and it's heartbreaking. Your words and the song have moved me to tears, you have such a talent for writing and expressing your feelings in a beautiful way. Your brother said something on his blog about family matters keeping him away, and I thought of you and your dad. The new place does look very nice! I hope all the bus traveling is not taking a toll on your health.

MadSnapper said...

I have not heard that poem, i have heard the last line many times in my life. I hope all will be well with the move. the apartment looks like a nice place to me and the outdoors is pretty also. the weather will be changing for the worst because of winter on the way. we will be here when you have time and waiting for life to slow down for you. we will not forget you if you do not post every day so don't worry about it. we willwait

rae said...

You're in my thoughts. Hope this move yields a notable improvement for both you and your dad.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin