PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Wednesday 3 February 2010

We Have a Situation



The snow plough actually did come around just after I finished my blog post yesterday. However, Eeyore's predictions were spot on: More "blizzards and what-not" set in just about an hour later!

Getting up this morning, I found that the Snow Situation had actually gone beyond plain boring to becoming sort of interesting again. Even the snow ploughs seem to have realized that. I ventured out for a walk with the camera later on and I don't think I've ever seen so many busy snow ploughs.

It did say in the paper yesterday that the town authorities had finally decided they had to start getting rid of the snow in the central parts of town; so now they are driving away truckloads of it to dump in a more out-of-the-way place.

I live about half-way between the town centre and the out-of-the-way place.



It was still snowing when I went out, but the wind had calmed down.
I ended up going for quite a long walk, considering the snow.



Somewhere around here (there is a park beyond those hedges, but the walkways in there do not get ploughed in winter), I used to take photos of busy butterflies:



Can you believe that?!

7 comments:

rae said...

These are lovely! I especially like the photo of those warm wooden doors surrounded by ice and snow.

MadSnapper said...

somewhere in my archives i have a bull dozer that looks just like your snow plow, but it was moving sand and rocks not snow. Love the pretty purple collage, you get better and better. brrhh i am cold from looking at your pictures.

Scriptor Senex said...

I love the collage - and such a contrast to the snow. Perhaps there's scope for a shot from the same spot through each of the seasons?

DawnTreader said...

Sandra - that yellow one in the collages above is probably more correctly called bulldozer than plough. There were both kinds of machines around yesterday.

Scriptor - There's a good chance of that since I pretty much walk the same paths all year round. Actually you've probably seen at least a dozen shots from this park already! LOL

GB said...

Snow. Everywhere snow. Here in Hawkes Bay instead of summer sun we are having lots of rain - twice the January everage. If it were winter perhaps we would be having snow too (unknown in Napier). What a topsy-turvey world we are living in.

But then in 1947 the UK had snow that even I as a three year old can recall.

Rose-Anne said...

Monica your photography and collages are amazing. I need a lesson on them as my collage has a head chopped off. LOL and now I have no idea how I did the collage or do another one. I desperately want to get to your standard. I will ask my friend to show to me.
I also love reading your family history. My heart goes out to your Dad. It is so hard losing a spouse.
Take care.

DawnTreader said...

GB - I don't think the total amount of snow that has been falling is actually breaking records yet. The unusual thing is more that it has been so cold for so long without thaw in between. So what has come down, stays!

Rose-Anne - if you're using Picasa for collages (and it might well be the same thing with other software), I'm afraid you have to count with things getting chopped off! Sometimes to your liking and sometimes not ;) There is no way to control it completely so you just have to keep on experimenting.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin