PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Saturday 13 November 2010

A Reading Exercise

Earlier today I sent off an email to a friend, and rereading the copy afterwards I noticed that I had managed to overlook several typing mistakes. Something that always bugs me - when the mistakes are mine, not so much when other people make them!  But today it reminded me of something I read the other day... In Swedish, but I was sure there must be an English version of it somewhere on the web, and I was right - it was not too difficult to find. Here it is. If you haven't already seen it, I think you're in for a surprise:

Can you read this paragraph?

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

If you had any problems understanding, follow this link to Learn English,

4 comments:

MadSnapper said...

Yieks! I can raed tihs, ervey wrod.
love it and just proves what i have said dozens of times. our English language is just plain crzay

DawnTreader said...

I first came across it in Swedish translation though, and it works just the same way in our language.

I'm guessing one must already be able to read the language fluently though. Using a dictionary to look up a word one was not already familiar with would be difficult...

Ginny Hartzler said...

I've seen this before, isn't it cool?? I'm glad you found it to show all of us, it really is amazing!

Mac n' Janet said...

I could read it, but then my mind is such a jumble that it felt right at home with it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin