PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Friday 12 November 2010

Advice, Please!

DSCN0121

From my living room window: A deep and dark November evening. Only a couple of weeks to go now until it’s time to put up the first Advent decorations…

Checking my Picasa Web Album, it says I’ve used up more than 75% of my storage space. I’m trying to think ahead a bit, not to be overcome by surprise the day it suddenly says it’s full…

Here’s what I’ve been thinking:

I don’t want to pay for more storage space.

I don’t want to erase my old posts. I want to be able to go back to them myself, and I also might want to be able to link back to some.

Moving one of the blogs to another account would mean messing up already existing links.

It also does not seem practical to have separate accounts for each blog since that would mean a lot of confusing logging in and out.

So I guess the best thing would be to leave the blogs as they are, and just continue with “part 2” on a new account. I guess that means losing a certain number of followers – but hopefully the ones who are really following will make note of the change and adjust to it. I know I have done so with other bloggers myself.

I have already started making preparations (setting up a new Blogger account). But I’d really appreciate advice and points of view from others, before I go ahead. Maybe there are aspects of it I have not thought about?

I suppose after New Year might be a good time to make a change. (It will then be two years since I started this blog.)

5 comments:

MadSnapper said...

I don't know if you follow Dawining inspiration, it is on my list of blogs on side bar, but she did what you are doing. if you want me to I could ask her to email you, i have her email and yours. she had done it twice now and did not lose her followers. all you have to do is give us all the new blog and we will follow.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh, gosh, this is going to happen to all of us at some point! I do NOT look forward to it! Your loyal followers will find you as long as you give them a link, so I don't think that would be a problem, I know it wouldn't for me. Will you still have two blogs? Where you go, I will follow, Judy!!

GB said...

Well I'm a bit puzzled. You made me wonder how I was going and I see that I have only used 24% of my allowance on Picasa Web Albums for Rotowhenua (I use a separate account for the Eagleton Notes) and have about 3000 images on it. I must go and look at Eagleton Notes too. I think if I were to run out of space I'd just either archive part of the blog to a new account and move the pictures over thus leaving more space for me to continue my present blog on the extisting account or do what Sandra's friend did. True followers would still follow.

DawnTreader said...

I'm still thinking two blogs, yes. For one thing, apart from a few very faithful fans, I do see a certain difference in who follows what.

For myself too, I find that I like to do things a bit differently. The Island blog is more about writing, while the Picture Book is all about photos. My own photos.

One reason I started the PB was to be able to post some of my photos without much comment, and BIG, and with black background, and a 'clean' layout (no sidebar).

But I also like to write, and I myself find it tiring for the eyes to read a lot of text on black background. Sometimes I also want to use other illustrations than my own photos. And some of that sidebar stuff is fun and useful too. For myself, if not for others.

So yes. I do think it probably suits me best to keep both blogs going.

DawnTreader said...

GB, I can see how it can work for you to have separate accounts for your blogs since you rarely post on both of them on the same day. For me, posting daily on both blogs, I feel it would be very complicated to have them on separate accounts. Is there even a way to be logged in on two different Blogger accounts at the same time? (Maybe using different browsers? But that I would find confusing in so many other ways.)

As for moving old posts to a new account... I've considered it, but as far as I understand, then already existing links to those posts wouldn't work any more. I have lots of old cross-links between my own posts and blogs, and if I move the old posts, then all of those links would just end in a message saying "sorry, but the page you are looking for does not exist". (Or is my brain that is in a knot here?)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin