PLEASE NOTE

This blog goes on under a different name and new web address from January 2011. Please follow me...

Beyond the Lone Islands

http://dawntreader-island2.blogspot.com

Saturday 23 May 2009

Raven's Wordzzle Challenge # 64



For the rules of the game, go to Raven's Nest

Ten Word Challenge: albino, trench, marble, assistant, Indian, What's that supposed to mean?, sound first principles, the key thing, moat, curtain

Mini challenge: under the surface, doomed, grand design, temple, aspirin


The Slumber Party Mystery
Chapter 11 - Into the Library

(You will find links to the previous chapters in the margin further down the page.)

"The library is right through here, sir," said Bumblebee, showing Lieutenant Skittles through the glass doors leading into the house from the terrace. "Please mind the bear," he added.

"Mind the… What's that supposed to mean?" said Skittles, feeling utterly confused. After the bright sunlight outside, stepping into a room with most of the curtains drawn was like entering a dark cave; he could not see a thing at first. Then he almost tripped over something, and looking down, found it to be a huge grinning albino bear's head, attached to the rest of its skin spread out flat on the floor.

"What the… Oh," said Skittles, collecting himself. "Polar bear?" he wondered, looking closer at the grim stuffed head.

"Yes, sir," confirmed Bumblebee. "The brigadier general is a collector of various objects from around the world."

"Hm," said Skittles, looking up and finding himself facing an Indian totem pole. "So I see…" He had never met the general, but he had heard of him. It was said that he had started out digging trenches, and ended up building himself a palace. The house was certainly of grand design, the pillars on the terrace reminding of a Greek temple. Some people wondered whether the old man still had all his marbles in the right place, while others claimed that he was and had always been a man of sound first principles, knowing exactly where his priorities lay. But right now, Skittles reminded himself, the key thing was to find out who or what had started the fire.

"Mr Bumblebee," he said to the butler, "perhaps you could enlighten me on a few points. For example, I take it you cannot be the only servant in this household?"

"No, sir. There is also the brigadier general's personal assistant, who is a trained nurse, but she has this weekend off. Then there is the cook and the gardener, but neither of them live in this house, and they leave early on Fridays."

"But you were having a party this evening?"

"One guest only, Dr Challenge."

Skittles waited for Bumblebee to continue, but the butler obviously was not going to volonteer any more information without being asked a direct question.

Skittles still had a feeling that there was something hidden under the surface, he just didn't know how to get at it. Why did the butler suddenly seem as impregnable as a castle surrounded by a moat? "I must find someone who is willing to let down the drawbridge, or I'm doomed to fail with this investigation," Skittles thought to himself.

Aloud, he said to Bumblebee: "I'm sorry, I feel a headache coming on. Do you think you could find me an aspirin and a glass of water, while I interview somebody else?"

* * *

Author's comment: For this week's challenge, Raven used words that I had sent to her. After this little experiment, I have to report that having come up with the words myself did not make the challenge easier... At least when someone else has chosen the words, you can always blame them if you find the words impossible and not really leading anywhere... ;-)

13 comments:

Akelamalu said...

I would imagine it would be more difficult to write a story with words you chose so, m'dear, I think you did a fantastic job! :)

Dr.John said...

And so the story goes on. Will have to come back next week to see what happens.
Good writing. Good story. ( Bad words)

Raven said...

Well done! You wove the words in seamlessly. I had to laugh at your little post script. It's very true.

Anonymous said...

Great story...the saga continues. Congrats on getting your words used and I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier. Have a very happy Memorial Day Weekend :)

Fandango said...

Not much food this week. Dragons like food. We don't think the inspector got very far. But he is trying.
Great writing.

Richard said...

I am enjoying the continuing Dr. Challenge series. Keep up the good work.

Dianne said...

I've never chosen words for Raven because I always thought it would make it even harder LOL

I enjoy your story

Anonymous said...

That was a great story... very engaging :-)

MommyWizdom

CJ said...

Wonderful use of the words, even if you did choose them yourself.

gabrielle said...

"The library is right through here, sir," said Bumblebee, showing Lieutenant Skittles through the glass doors leading into the house from the terrace. "Please mind the bear," he added.

I loved the transition from light (the obvious) to the dark cave ( the obscure).

thanks for the words!!!

bettygram said...

I am late, as I bake all day yesterday. i am enjoying this story. I liked the bear rug.

Stephen said...

I liked the story. I thought the polar bear rug was very interesting, and I spent a while picturing it in my mind. I also liked the Indian totem pole. The butler seems reluctant to talk, but maybe he feels he owes it to his employer to not say much. Too bad for Lieutenant Skittles, though.

Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/

DawnTreader said...

Thank you all for giving me so much response!

Gabrielle, your analyzing comment made me feel like a "real author"... ;-)

As for the polar bear rug, it was already in the library from a previous chapter. It has turned out very useful that I decided already in the first episode to make the the brigadier general an eccentric collector...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin